Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: a stupid question

  1. #1
    el don
    Guest el don's Avatar

    Post

    Here are a few questions from a young newbie.
    What effect will i get using a wide angle? an Angenieux? and an Anamorphic? I often heard those names but i still don't understand what those lenses are exactly. Can i put them on my Elmo super108 XL? How much do they cost? thank you for helping me.

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by el don:
    [B]Here are a few questions from a young newbie.
    What effect will i get using a wide angle? an Angenieux? and an Anamorphic? I often heard those names but i still don't understand what those lenses are exactly. Can i put them on my Elmo super108 XL? How much do they cost? thank you for helping me.

    (Matt Pacini responds):
    Angenieux is just the name of a company that makes lenses.

    By "wide angle", are you referring to a wide angle adapter?


    The wide angle adapters expand the view you can take in.
    Take your camera zoom lens, and zoom in and out. The adapter will allow you to see wider than normally possible on your lens.

    Anamorphic lenses are similar to wide angle in the end result, in a way, but significantly different in how they work.
    They "see" a very wide angle of view, then compress the horizontal information on the film, so it appears "squeezed".
    Then, when projected, the same lens "unsqueezes it" out to it's normal wide view.

    I suggest NOT shooting anamorphic, especially if your new at this.
    It's a very difficult way to shoot, very challenging.

    The problems shooting anamorphic (aside from how hard it is to adapt the lenses to Super 8 cameras) are:
    1. Most lenses are not fast, so they need much more light.

    2. They are VERY heavy, and need extra support.

    3. They must be perfectly level all the time, or the "squeeze" of the image will actually skew the image unnaturally.

    I hope this helps. It's certainly just a brief discription, but this should give you some idea anyway...

    Matt Pacini


    ------------------

  3. #3
    el don
    Guest el don's Avatar

    Post

    thank you very much. Actually, I wasn't really planning to use those lenses in a near future. I already shot a few rolls, and i'm quite happy of the result, but i was curious to know what cool effects i could get with super8, that's all.

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    There are many things you can do for cool effects.
    Use your imagination.
    I shot through an old jar bottom for a scene in Lost Tribes, that was supposed to be the POV of a woman who was drugged.
    It looked great!
    Much more interesting than if I had done something on the computer.

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •